• February 3Look out for our next print issue! (March)

Racism in America

Inequality in America

Midsy Corona, Staff Reporter

America is at one of its most critical moments in history in 2016 with this election and the results could mean the validation of a lot of racism. Back in the day, people would not share their racist opinion because they were unsure what other people would think about them. Now people go around and protest against any other person that is not white.

Donald Trump is a big part of the problem. He validates so many people’s’ racist thoughts against Latinos, Muslims, and African American people. Now people think it is alright to go around and insult other people based on their race. Racism is spreading like a plague across the nation.

It started with an insult but then escalated to violence. On March 1, 2016 in Louisville Kentucky, a black woman was surrounded and assaulted by numerous Trump supporters.

On March 9, 2016, in Fayetteville North Carolina, there was a black protester at a Trump rally who was kicked out and as he was escorted out, a white man came up and punched him in the face.

There was a case in Minnesota on October 2016 where Asma Mohamed was having lunch with her family at Applebee’s when a white woman named Jodie Marie Buranard-Risch said, “When you’re in America you should speak English.”

Then Buranard-Risc went to Asma and hit her on the head with a beer mug. There are thousands of people just like Buranard-Risc that think that just because immigrant people live in America that they should speak English, but that is simply not true and is discriminatory.

“Just because there is a certain group of people from a different race, it does not mean that they are bad or that everyone from that race is bad just because of the mistakes of other people,” said Asma Mohamed.

However, there are people out there that say that they are very religious but they go on about how the white race is much more superior to any other race. Does it ever mention in the Bible that the white race is better than any other? No, it actually mentions the complete opposite. Everyone is created equally and should not be discriminated because of their skin color.

Also, there are employers that refuse to hire people based on their skin color. Does the type of skin color determine how well they work? Also, the person may meet the jobs requirements but just won’t get the job because of their color. However, if they do get the job they would be treated completely different from the other white co-workers. There are people who blame illegal immigrants because they are “stealing” their jobs, but it’s not like that.

An example is Iowa city, Iowa. A hispanic 32-year old woman, mother of one, Alexandra Alvila claimed that her white co-workers from Sedgwick Claims Management Services racially harassed her with images of Donald Trump and called her an “illegal immigrant” even though Avila is a natural born citizen from California. There are more and more cases like Avila’s around the nation.

Racism is going overboard in the country and needs to be stopped. If Donald Trump wins the presidential election, it will only add fuel to the fire. Racism has to come to an end, before it breaks the union apart.