Help send PHUHS theatre students to SETC!

Courtesy of the Aftermath Yearbook

The cast of Wiley and the Hairy Man performing.

Nikki Sawyer, Online Editor

Palm Harbor University High School’s one act play, Wiley and the Hairy Man, won top honors at the Florida Theatre Conference last fall. As the winners they will represent Florida at the Southeastern Theatre Conference in Chattanooga, Tennessee this March.

Wiley and the Hairy Man is a show about a young boy who must confront his fears to triumph over the villainous Hairy Man and in doing so discovers his own potential in the face of danger.  The author, Susan Zeder wrote in her preface to the play “I wanted to write a play about the kinds of fears that children face alone in the dark.  I wanted to write a play about magic – good magic and bad magic – and most importantly, the magic that all of us have somewhere deep inside us.”

The award winning ensemble work of the 19 cast members was recognized at both the Florida Theatre Conference, and more recently at the District 4 (Pinellas) Theater Festival in December.  Amanda Springer, currently a junior, was also named Best Actress for her portrayal of the character Mami at both competitions. The chorus is most interesting as they create a living set. They form the tables, chairs, and fireplace, then transform into an undulating living swamp!

To help fund the trip to Chattanooga (approx. $11,000) there will be a Dinner Show and Silent Auction on Friday, January 27.   Dinner, being provided by Corteo’s Italian Restaurant, begins at 6 PM.   A special presentation of Wiley will follow in the PHUHS theater.

Tickets to the Dinner, Auction and Show are $20. Please contact Missy Springer for ticket information at [email protected] or 727-224-1359.