PHU takes on HOSA States

Julia Incorvaia, Staff Reporter

Medical students from PHU travel to Orlando to compete in the HOSA State level competition.

Thousands of students came together for the same reason- to promote career opportunities in the healthcare industry and to enhance the delivery of quality healthcare to all people.

On April 14th, Palm Harbor University High School (along with many other schools in Florida) headed off to the State Leadership Conference in Orlando, Florida. The students took a bus at 8:00 in the morning with they’re HOSA uniforms tightly packed in their luggage.

Out of 58 students competing in 19 different events, 3 teams from PHU qualified for nationals which will be held in Nashville, Tennessee. The events that they placed in are MRC Partnership, Sports Medicine, and Clinical Specialty.

Seniors Trent Percy, Kyndal Midkiff, Ashley Milleman, Darry Bouie, and Amanda Hood placed 1st at regionals and 2nd at states while competing against 2 other teams in MRC Partnership.

MRC partnership (as stated on www.hosa.org) is a team event (2-6 competitors) designed to encourage HOSA Chapters to initiate and maintain a partnership with their local Medical Reserve Corps units. Through Active engagement with the MRC, HOSA chapters and competitive events teams will be involved in their community and demonstrate the spirit and mission Of the MRC and HOSA Partnership.

Competing in Sports Medicine, sophomore, Joseph Petrantoni placed 1st at regionals and 5th at states out of 50 other people.

According to information on www.hosa.org, sports medicine consists of consist of two rounds of competition. Round One will be a written, multiple choice test of knowledge and understanding. The top scoring competitors will advance to Round Two for the performance of selected skill(s) identified in a written scenario. The scenario will require the use of critical thinking skills. The performance will be timed and evaluated according to the event guidelines.

And last but not least, competing in Clinical specialty, senior, Xenia Saliors placed 2nd in regionals and 5th at states out of 12 other people.

As posted on the hosa website, clinical specialty is an individual event that consists of the development of a career portfolio, and the demonstration of a selected skill common to the chosen health career.The career portfolio will be created by the competitor to show career understanding and documentation of a related work-based learning experience. The skill portion will consist of a digitally recorded demonstration of a skill related to the chosen career.