• May 23Senior Portraits Due End of September

• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

Are you ready for IB?

Bella Yacoviello, Staff Reporter

While most people were tanning or splashing in the pool over summer, the IB students were preparing to take a math test.

From May 30-31, the IB boot camp was held at PHU. Each day was about four hours long. In this boot camp, the IB students received their summer assignments, took a math pretest, went on a tour of the school, and were rewarded with popsicles!

The IB freshmen were first split up into groups based on whether they were taking Spanish or French. Each group was assigned to two to three IB juniors or seniors. Many of the older students were dressed in Hawaiian shirts and carried fanny packs.

The upperclassmen were there to inform the freshmen about the challenges of IB and how to handle the work and manage their time.

Each group started out with a different teacher. Mr. Tharin was the English teacher representative. He began his class with a short video about imagination and growth, then connected the video with how we must use our imaginations and not be afraid to grow in this rigorous program.

Mr. Tharin also played a quick game of Kahoot with the class that included challenging questions about literary terms. Lastly, he explained to the students their summer reading and writing assignments.

Mrs. Weaver was the ambassador for math. On the first day of boot camp the students had to take a 25 question long algebra test! Whatever sections they did poorly on determined which sections of Algebra Nation they had to complete over Summer.

For Spanish we met with Mrs. Duarte. She played a fun game of jeopardy with difficult Spanish terms.

Another class we went to was one that explained time management, and the balance we needed to maintain in our lives. We did an activity where you were in a group of people, and you had to try to keep multiple balloons from hitting the ground. This represented how difficult it is to juggle everything in IB, and displayed that you need the help of your peers.

“You can’t just study all the time, you have to make room for family, sports, or anything else you enjoy,” said Mrs. Shepherd-Thompson.

The last activity we did was receive tips from the juniors and seniors. They read off our questions that we had previously written down on note cards. The most frequently asked question was ‘Is it ok to drop out?’ The upperclassmen assured us that if we really couldn’t handle the program, it was definitely ok to drop out.

At the end of the stressful two days, they rewarded the students with popsicles. This camp sparked excitement in many of the freshmen IB students.

“IB camp was really exciting because I got to see all the different teachers,” said freshman Nyah Damann. “We got a glimpse of what the IB experience was really like.”