The Allied Force

The place where love trumps everything they can imagine.

Huyen Nguyen and Meadow Angelotti

As the Tuesday bell rings at 1:35, students excitedly walk to building 5 for a PRISM meeting, the halls echoing with each footstep. This sounds like a normal event until the boys and girls of all sexualities greet each other with heartwarming smiles, contagious positivity, and a hint of humor.

Formally known as the Gay-Straight Alliance, they changed their name to PRISM, or People Respecting Individual Social Mindsets, to inform students that the club is open to everyone.

For plenty of people, PRISM is a safe place to go to make friends and support one another. The one thing that members of this club want you to know is that this club is not just for people in the LGBTQ+ community.

Club activities include listening to presentations about key issues that need to be addressed and simply just interacting.

This club is meant for people that want to sit down and talk to others that are going through a similar experience. Currently, a good amount of people do not know this club exists.

“You don’t have to be gay to join the club,” said a member of PRISM, who wants to be kept anonymous.

PRISM is also a place to form new friendships. Many members get together and talk after school, in person, and online. The members formed a group chat where they greet each other with a simple ‘good morning’ that is made to bring a smile to anyone who is reading it.

They may be a small group but they are very close. It is all thanks to Mr. Pinder, an IB freshman teacher, who sponsors the club and strongly encourages the members to be themselves.

“Before I joined I didn’t know anybody, but now I know a lot of people. I see them in the halls and say ‘hi’,” said freshman Maya Ongchangco.

The members gather in their friend groups, joking and laughing under the afternoon sun. Even when the meeting ends, students are outside socializing. When it is time to go home, they are left with a positive memory.