• May 23Senior Portraits Due End of September

• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

How to Create a Club

Bella Yacoviello, Staff Reporter

59 clubs are held at PHUHS, and innovative students are still coming up with ideas for new ones.

There are several different categories of clubs; government, academic, service, special interest, and clubs involving the arts. All these clubs can be proposed by students. In order to create a club, students must follow a lengthy series of steps.

Firstly, PHU requires all clubs to have a constitution and a list of club members and officers in the activities office in order to be considered an active club.

Concerning the steps to actually create a club, the founder must first fill out a New Club Request Form. This form includes a proposed club name, the club category, a student petition, a signature of a proposed faculty member, and a constitution or set of rules for their club. The student petition must contain a minimum of ten potential and committed club members who meet the membership requirements, and the proposed faculty sponsor must be an instructional staff member.

Once the form is completed it must be turned in to the Assistant Principal for Athletics/Activities (APA) for a final approval.

Clubs can only be formed within the first month of each semester.

Girl up, world wildlife fund, health & fitness, and personal empowerment are all examples of clubs that have been created by students this year.

Sophomore Alyssa Bynum is the founder of Girl Up, a women empowerment club created this year.

“We had many complications along the way like getting approved by Mr.Lopez and finding a sponsor, but now our club has been going great, and the process was definitely worth it. We have met all of our goals, and even wrote letters to a senator that represents us in Congress,” Bynum said.

Junior Allyson Nepomuceno is in the process of creating a club called Asian Student Association (ASA).

“Making the club has been difficult so far because of the approval process, but I hope to get the club up and running next year, and everyone is welcome to join,” Nepomuceno said.

Although the requirements might seem extensive, students shouldn’t let the process defer them from creating a club that they are truly passionate about.