• May 23Senior Portraits Due Sept. 29

• April 19 Yearbooks on sale now through Dec. 31, $60, online at phuhs.org

Exams call for studying

Kaitlyn Pamplona, Alyvia Hallock, and Jayla Motko

Exam week is just around the corner and students are rushing to meet up with friends to study, get help from a teacher, play a kahoot, or even just wait last minute to cram all the information the night before the exam.

Some teachers do their best to help students review during class and by giving them study guides, but do these studying procedures really help the students improve their grades on their midterm exams?

Some teachers believe that students should create their own study guides so they will tell them to study the old tests, notes they made in class or old review packets they had given out for other tests

“I tell my students how many questions will be on the test, what type of questions, and around what they should be studying” Jason Tsardoulias said.

Kids will then make a study guide off of what they know will be on the test, or they will review tests and go to tutoring.

“I usually end up cramming for the exams so I go through my old tests and review what I got wrong. It is also really helpful when i go to tutoring sessions either with the teacher I have or one of the others.” Freshman Riley Hall said.

When teachers don’t give review packets or tell them what they should study they will find their own ways to memorize the information. While this may work for some kids, some work better when they are given a study guide from the teachers.

“I will use the study guide the teachers give us to help me create notes and present those notes like it is a presentation.” Sophomore Justin Sethi said.

Students know that review packets can be helpful yet stressful at the same time, but does all that work really pay off into better exam grades? Overload of homework and long studying sessions at Panera and Starbucks have been known to stress out students. Multiple teachers have been able to help students replace the stress with fun by having their students engage in more interactive activities. Kahoots! are often played and they are fun and educational.

“It depends on the student, but usually my kahoots and review packets help most of my students understand the content better so then it helps them on their exams,” history teacher Jonathan Adkins said.

“The kahoots help me the most because its a competition where in most classes there is a prize at the end.” Freshman Maya Cemalovic said.

These study guide do help some, but for others they like to do their own ways to study and have found that they help them a lot more. Students come up with clever ways to memorize their lesson.

“When I study and really can’t remember something I will turn it into a song so it sticks. That helps me much more than the study guides” Junior Ana Scargle said.

These study procedures and protocols help the many of students by listening to music, playing a kahoot, or even just finishing up their homemade study guides. Teachers that help students study shows that their hard work pays off into excellent exam grades.