• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

Pollen Count Up, Immune System Down

Ways to combat the effects of allergies.

Alexis Cesarini and Lizzy Mason

The population was hit hard enough by the season of influenza. As the first day of spring approaches rapidly, pollen is taking over instead.

March 20 marks the first day of spring this year, even though allergy season seems to have been around for weeks now. People are found coughing and sneezing in stores, at school, and inside restaurants, and they will constantly blame it on allergies.

Weather.com provides an ‘allergy tracker’ that includes a map of the United States and highlights which areas are most affected by pollen. Green is a low count, red is a high count, and Palm Harbor is drowned in orange, when the top half of the country remains all green.

On the bright side, an allergy-free future is a possibility. As stated by Sciencedaily.com, over 400 million people throughout the continents struggle with a grass pollen allergy. An artificially manufactured vaccine has been discovered and it could be publicized within the next two to three years after further testing takes place. Or, people with allergies can continue to finds ways to improve their respiration naturally.

For those prone to having allergies there are tips and steps that can be taken to ease the symptoms that come along with allergy season.  

According to Everydayhealth.com, they recommend to limit outdoor activities when the pollen count is high. When one does go outside, they advise leaving shoes outside to avoid tracking pollen into the house. And when in the house they advocate keeping the windows closed and the A/C on so pollen does not enter the home.

There are more suggestions that this websites offers. They say to clean pets after they’ve been outdoors so that pollen stays out. And of course, plan any trips outside around the pollen count for the day.

Sometimes reactions cannot be avoided so to relieve allergy symptoms, Healthline.com suggests talking to your doctor about any allergy medications. Some home remedy ideas include flushing pollen from the nose with water, using A/C when in the car and home, and using an air humidifier.

If these steps are done properly, the effects of pollen can be lessened and avoided more easily.