A New Norm

From face masks to virtual school, teachers and students are both having to adjust to a new way of learning.

Students are walking to fourth period class from building 11.

Abigail Houston, Staff Reporter

School has finally reopened, but how do students and staff really feel about these new changes in learning? How do students feel about masks at school? How do teachers feel about having to focus on in class students as well online students at the same time? Most importantly, do students regret doing online school? 

School is back in sessionThere are many changes that students and staff will need to adapt to. Face coverings are now required to be worn throughout each school day. 

“I think it is important to wear masks at school to reduce the chance of getting sick and to protect myself and others around me,” junior Skylar Carmody said. 

Masks can be quite distracting; however, masks keep students and staff safe and healthy. 

Although many students chose to come back to school in person, many students chose to continue school online. Students at home are having to navigate through a website called Canvas. On Canvas, students have access to everything they need to succeed for their classes. While this may seem simple for some students, others may be struggling with this technology and lack of social encounters.  

“I do regret doing online school because I feel like I’m not getting the best learning and I’m not getting the best understanding of certain things like math,” sophomore Ashlyn Kaiser said. “Also, it’s just boring sitting at a computer all day and not being able to see anyone.”  

With school reopening many changes are happening, including teachers having to teach online students and face to face students at the same time. This could be very overwhelming for teachers.  

I do love the technology we are learning to use in Canvas,” English teacher, Lesley Shoultz said. 

“I don’t like that it is so difficult to work with students individually or in small groups because some are at home; I wish I could find a way to be closer to my students online,” Mrs. Shoultz said, “I feel like I’m getting better at it though.”