• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

North Korea poses threat after gaining nuclear weapons

Picasa

Picasa

Madeleine Katz, Staff Reporter

North Korea has gained access to nuclear weapons that can be transported in a rocket which has become a huge threat to the United States. When Donald Trump found out about the threat, he announced to North Korea that if they attack the United States, “they will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.”

Shortly afterwards, North Korea publicized that they were considering attacking Guam, a United States territory as reported by CNN.

Nuclear weapons not only create mass destruction if deployed but they also create radioactive disease in all of the areas surrounding it. That means that any animals in vicinity of the area could be carrying chemicals that could cause serious harm to humans if they were to consume the animal according to New Scientist.

In previous years, North Korea has worked with several countries to create nuclear weapons. “North Korea has collaborated with Iran and Pakistan in developing nuclear and/or missile technology in the past, and to some extent this may be ongoing,” Popular Mechanics stated.

If North Korea was to attack Guam they would most likely be targeting the Andersen Air Force Base. The reason they chose to threaten Guam instead of a location that would do more harm to the United States was because Guam is the closest United States territory to North Korea and the easiest location for their missiles to reach.

Thirty percent of Guam is occupied by the US military and the rest of the island is mainly for tourism. According to the New York Times, the island of Guam has approximately 160,000 inhabitants and always have a large amount of tourists on the island.

When Donald Trump called the governor of Guam to discuss the threat, he made it clear that the US plans on protecting Guam and stated, “You are safe. We are with you 1,000 percent.”

Guam’s governor, Eddie Calvo, told Trump in the phone call that he’s, “never felt more safe or more confident than with you at the helm. So, with all the criticism going on over there from a guy who is being targeted, we need a president like you, I’m just so thankful.”

Calvo also told Trump that he disapproves of the hostility between the Republican and Democrat parties at a time like this. “I wish there would be less partisanship up there. This is a time of threat to the United States. It shouldn’t be Democrats or Republicans. It should be everybody unifying behind our president,” Calvo stated.