• October 3Senior Yearbook Ad Page - early deadline Oct. 8 - lowest price!

• May 23Senior Portraits Deadline extended to Oct. 6

• April 19 Yearbooks on sale now through Dec. 31, $60, online at phuhs.org

Will he last?

Will Trump be able to survive the rest of his presidency?

Lizzy Mason, Staff Reporter

It has been seven and a half long months since Donald Trump has become President of the United States. Now the question is finally being asked, will our new president make it to the end of his term?

Rumors about Trump’s impeachment have been circling around for awhile now. On May 9th, 2017, Trump fired former F.B.I. director, James B. Comey. His motive for firing Comey was that when Trump told him to shut down an investigation, Comey refused. This can be seen as Obstruction of Justice which is a federal offense and can be a reason for impeachment.

The investigation was about if our former-National Security Advisor Michael Flynn had been in contact with Russia and if Russia had hacked Democrats to influence the election. Flynn was fired by Trump after 24 days on the job.

It has also been said that Trump told Flynn to “Stay strong” which may be seen as manipulation of a witness or obstruction of justice as well.

As his presidency has continued his approval rates (according to Gallup.com) have dropped 10% and his disapproval rates have raised 15%.

It’s no wonder why his disapproval rates have gone up. The president is no stranger to Twitter, and his tweets have caused a lot of controversy.

He has tweeted everything from Obama ‘wire tapping’ Trump Tower to multiple tweets about the ‘fake news media’. And then there was his infamous tweet, “Despite the negative press covfefe” that caused nation-wide confusion. Its assumed he meant ‘coverage’ but Trump never gave an explanation as to what ‘covfefe’ meant, and no one else could either.

Trump even tweeted about the situation with Comey. Calling his investigation “the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history!” He also posted a tweet that said “James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Trump later admitted that there weren’t any recordings of the conversation.

However, impeachment doesn’t mean that he will be removed from office. If he is ‘impeached’ then he is accused of a crime by the house of representatives. This then goes to the senate where he is tried for the crime, if he is acquitted by the senate then he will not be removed from office. If he is convicted by the senate then he will be removed from office.

So far no president has been convicted by the senate Two presidents, Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson, were impeached in-house but were acquitted by the senate. Another president that was going to be impeached was Richard Nixon but he resigned before anything was done.

There is a lot more that Trump has said and done that has made America question whether or not they chose the right president. And it makes us question if he is going to be president for much longer.