Traveling with Coronavirus

Students are afraid to travel with Coronavirus spreading.

Allyson May, Staff Reporter

Traveling has become more of a risk as the Coronavirus, known as COVID-19, has spread  throughout the world and the United States. COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that has flu-like symptoms. There is an increased risk of death among the elderly and those with preexisting health conditions, but can still affect everyone and has been spreading rapidly throughout the world.

Many news reports have advised not to travel out of the country this spring break due to the high infection rates, but many students have still decided to travel throughout the United States this break. 

“I’m traveling to Maryland by plane, and then after a few days I’m taking a train up to New York for a week,” Jenna Young (‘20) said. “I’m not worried about the Coronavirus either. It is just a glorified flu.” 

This virus has no vaccine since it is new to the world, and a new vaccine could take a few years to develop. The virus seems to be like the flu and not much information is known about the cause and what will happen. 

“I’m not worried, because if I do, it will ruin my vacation, but my dad definitely is worried about Coronavirus,” Carly Thiess (‘22) said. 

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) advised not to travel by cruises or go on long plane rides, since they increase the risk of contracting the virus. . 

“I’m going to Colorado from Friday to Wednesday, and I don’t care about the Coronavirus,” Jacob Alalof (‘22) said. “It is over hyped and to me it is just a joke.” 

As the future is unknown due to this virus and where it will be, people hope that this disease does not catch up to them. However, there are still many ways to enjoy this break travel-free and avoid the sickness. It is still an option to cancel and reschedule trips and it’s a good idea to be open to new ideas this spring break.