• May 23Senior Portraits Due Sept. 29

• April 19 Yearbooks on sale now through Dec. 31, $60, online at phuhs.org

Is It Really Just A Test?

Jacyn McCrudden, Staff Reporter

The end of the school year is infamous for anxiety ridden students taking FSA testing and final exams. Who wants to spend time studying, or stressing over trying to pass to get out of high school? It’s not worth it, we shouldn’t be sweating or almost in tears trying to figure out what to do. So, the question comes up a lot to what are we going to do about testing?

A student should not have to base their knowledge off of an exam. They should base their knowledge off of the grades that they get in the classroom, because let’s be honest it is much more difficult to get a good grade inside a classroom then it is to pass a test.

We all know many students are not great test takers, and honestly the people who give out these types of test should consider people who have problems such as your mind going blank, becoming frustrated, find yourself over thinking, or thinking you’re worthless. This could result in having test anxiety and having problems in the future with assignments, or future exams.

The government requires students to take these test to see how students are learning in school, and to see if they are actually retaining the information. “The federal government requires students to take annual state tests in math, English, science and social studies.” Said http://parentsacrossamerica.org. Some of the requirements that are necessary for the english classes and math classes for high school, are if you don’t pass the math EOC then you have to take a PERT test and then after that students have to take the EOC after a limited time that you failed the pert test. Then the English requirement, in reality, a test taker would have to get an eight on writing and pass reading. Which if students don’t then have to take both exams again and take a reading class instead of an elective.

“Exams are very boring, and if they used upto date topics students would want to actually read the material and do well. Because no one’s going to think the same way we need to change our curriculum, to not have certain answers for a distinctive answers.” Said, Mitch Cooksey  

So overall, the school system needs to listen to the students who are having to take these exams. They are too stressful, and unnecessary we need to focus on the important facts of school, and the reason why students are getting an education; which is to prepare for the future, and not just teach us how to pass a test.