Diving into the season

Kate Hamric, Staff Reporter

Hands go up and the swimmer dives in. One of the number one swim teams in the county are about to compete in their first meet and they are hoping for the same outcome as the past seven years.

Palm Harbor University High School’s swim team is high competition this year. The annual spirit meet, held at the North Shore Aquatic Complex in St. Petersburg, lets the team show their true spirit.

They are seven year champions of the meet and expect another win this year. Coach Bitting is starting her 22nd year as the swim team’s coach and she must be doing something right!

The swimmers on the Palm Harbor team show their dedication for the sport by spending so much time practicing. Sometimes from 5:00 in the morning to 6:00 in the evening the swimmers will go from practice to school and back to practice.

After school on Wednesday, August 23, the team of 65 students got on the school bus to go all the way down to Seminole to challenge their opponents at 7:00 p.m. Seminole High School held the meet for both teams at their high school pool. Both teams could not be happier to start the season and could not hide their excitement for their first meet.

Earlier in the week the lineup for the meet was posted so that the swimmers could prepare for the upcoming races. Coach Bitting always tries her hardest to make sure everyone on the team has the opportunity to race.

“My favorite event to swim is 50 freestyle because I can achieve my best times in that event. It makes me work harder to get a better time every race,” said freshman swimmer, Alivia Cullu.

Unfortunately the meet was interrupted by some bad weather resulting in a cancellation only 3 events in but during the time that the team was together they made sure to prove their spirit and enthusiasm. They sang songs together and cheered on their teammates who were swimming races.

Many of the members on the team have been swimming for as long as they can remember and can’t wait to continue making memories with the people that they spend so much time and effort with.

“Being able to swim with my friends makes everything we do worth it,” said senior swimmer, Emily Carollo. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”