Player of the Week: Wyatt Beasey

Prestige
Prestige

Prestige

Prestige

Andy Blair, Sports Editor

With a new coaching staff coming in and replacing a two year starter at the most important position on the field, junior quarterback Wyatt Beasey has had big shoes to fill this season. Through the first seven games of this season, he has proven himself capable of leading the team.

Beasey started playing football when he was seven years old, his dad who has been one of his coaches has had a major influence on his development.

“My dad was a part of the coaching staff every season prior to this one, he has been such a big part of what I have become today,” Beasey said.

Last season, Beasey split time on both the Junior Varsity and Varsity squads.

“I played three JV games last year and was pulled up to be the backup quarterback. Although I didn’t get much playing time the experience definitely prepared me for this year,” Beasey said.

Beasey’s biggest performance of the season came during an away game at Newsome on October 20th. With several senior leaders out to injury, it was his opportunity to lead the team. He finished the night throwing for 405 yards and one passing touchdown, and rushing for another touchdown.

The next week he had another impressive performance in arguably the most important game to the players and students, the Homecoming Game. Playing against Steinbrenner, the junior gunslinger threw for 309 yards, completing 24 of his 34 attempts, two of which resulted in touchdowns for the Canes.

He showed his ability to affect the game on the ground as well, rushing 10 times for 45 yards, and accumulating two touchdowns in the process.

During this season Beasey has gained admiration from both his coaches and teammates.

“He’s the best quarterback I have ever played with, he’s like Houdini back there. He has a cannon for an arm and is always on the grind to get better,” senior wide receiver Antonio Scognamiglio said, who caught nine passes from Beasey for 105 yards in the Homecoming Game.

Beasey and the Canes will finish their regular season November 3rd against Tampa Riverview, and even more improvement is expected to be shown. Next season, Beasey will have high expectations to lead a team that is losing a majority of their senior starters.

“It’s hard to predict how we are going to perform next year, but I have high confidence in our coaching staff,” Beasey said.

While his focus is currently on the high school team, Beasey is interested in continuing his career in college. He currently has no offers to play collegiate football, but any coach that decides to show interest in the rising star would be wise to do so.