• May 23Senior Portraits Due End of September

• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

Eddie Brann Memorial Race

Eli Thompson, Staff Reporter

Last Friday, preparations began for the 9th annual Eddie Brann Memorial race at Showtime Speedway.

The Eddie Brann Memorial race is run by Open Wheel Modifieds in memory of a prestigious builder of these cars. As drivers prepped their cars throughout the day, they were getting more anxious to race.

The race was planned for Saturday the 28th, the same night as homecoming. As rain approached the area, drivers were hoping for the rain to go away. Some drivers were from out of state. One was from Texas and had to be at a business meeting Monday morning.

Unfortunately, the rain came and washed Saturday’s race plans away. As the original 39 drivers dropped down to 29 overnight, the luster for the race went away.

As the race came around at two on Sunday, drivers had already run the qualifying races, and were patiently waiting for Robert Yoho’s (the track owner) supporting classes to race, which were the Strictly Stocks and Mini Stocks.

With a small amount of rain in the area, Yoho made the decision to move Open Wheel Modifieds before Mini Stocks. As the modifieds took the green, they immediately were giving the fans a show.

Beating and banging until the finish, the #99 of Cody Stickler pulled away from the field, as the race looked as if it were over, oil was found on the track, and a red flag waved.

As the green flew for the last time, two cautions after the red flag, Stickler powered to the win. After every race, cars are inspected thoroughly to try and see if the car is legal, or illegal. Stickler had a disconnected right rear brake caliper, which is a disqualification.

After being checked as well the #21 of Devin McLeod was awarded the win, and the $3,000 check.