Player of the Week: Kali Barber

Andy Blair, Sports Editor

The Palm Harbor University High School girls basketball team has faced adversity so far this season. With six players graduating last year, the team needed a new player to step up and take charge.

That player is sophomore guard Kali Barber.

Through 10 games this year, Barber is averaging 12 points per game and helping the Canes amass a 6-4 record. Two of these wins came to this past week, to Largo High School and rival East Lake High.

Both games were blowout wins for the Canes. Against East Lake, Barber recorded a season high 21 points, as well as four assists, five rebounds, and three steals. In an away game against Largo she had 15 points, six assists, three rebounds, and four steals.
Barber’s success this season may be a surprise to some, but it was what she expected. Barber started playing basketball in the fifth grade, and lived in an area with successful girls basketball programs yearly. She grew up in a house with three brothers who also played basketball. Her youngest brother is currently an eighth grader playing for Tarpon Springs Middle School.

“It was always competitive growing up with them,” Barber said. “They helped me get better.”

Barber and the canes expect to continue to improve this season. The next Canes game will be at home this Friday, December 22.