• December 14 Yearbooks on sale now through Dec. 31, $60, online at phuhs.org

Moving in the right direction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Moving in the right direction

Andy Blair, Sports Editor

The PHU boys basketball team has had a rough start to this season, and currently holds a 6-12 record, 0-9 in one of the most competitive districts in the state. Despite this adversity, the team has been more competitive in their last few games.

After losing to Countryside High School by 16 in their first match up of the season, the Canes held a 29-26 lead at halftime in their second match up. While the team lost the game, they fought through using a lineup that featured multiple sophomore starters and a shortened bench.

The Canes would bounce back the next day with a win against Sebring High School at the annual Seminole Shootout, the final score was 65-51. Three days later the Canes would win in blowout fashion against Dixie Hollins High School, 70-42. Sophomore guard Noah Tran led in scoring both games with 27 against Sebring and 17 against Dixie.

With the Canes being on a two game win streak, they were seeking to win their first district game of the season against Pinellas Park High School, who previously beat them by 22 in the last match up. Both teams came ready to play in a game that would be an overtime thriller. Although the game went in favor of Pinellas Park, it was clear that this PHU team was for real.

The Canes most recent game came in a match up against district rival East Lake. Fans from both teams piled into Palm Harbor University’s Gymnasium to create one of the best atmospheres at a Pinellas County game this season. Palm Harbor came out firing, and finished the first quarter down one to the same team that had a 30-14 lead at the end of the first quarter in the season opener. Both teams battled and fought all game until East Lake eventually began to pull away late in the 3rd, and came out with a victory on the road.

Palm Harbor’s final district game will be against Seminole High School on January 26th at home. Their next and final home game of the season will be senior night on February 8th against Dunedin High School.