• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

Are Confederate Statues linked to Racism?

Michael Santini, Staff Reporter

The Civil War was a horrible time for the United States and many lives were lost. Since the Confederacy lost, people would think there would not be any statues for their side, but think again. They have been around for a very long time; nearly 150 years.

The first of these memorials were built in 1868, located in North Carolina. Most of the statues did not become widely known until the 1900’s.

In recent days, the statues are once again coming under large fire by protesters. Many people consider the statues symbols of hate and think that they should be removed.

The opposing side thinks they should stay up. Supporters of the statues claim it is to preserve history and pay respect to the past. While some people may see the statues as a reminder of our history, the vast majority of people consider the statues a painful reminder of racism and oppression.

All of the hate that is flowing around the statutes has caused an increase in violence and attacks against people who want the statues to be removed. This divisive behavior leads many to feel that the protectors of the statues are hate filled and are stuck in their old ways of racism.

There needs to be an effort to please both sides. One possible way to offer respect to the past and show understanding to both sides could be to replace the old statues with new memorials that offer remembrance to the people who lost their lives in the war without the confederate symbols that upset so many people.

These new statues could help to heal the divide in our nation.

Not everyone who fought in the Civil war for the south were slave owners. Some men fought for the south because it was their homeland and they wanted to protect it and their families.

So why do we have to remember every man who fought for the south as a monster? New memorials and statues could show their story.

Why not include any of the southern generals? Because in many people’s eyes they are just as big of a hate symbols as their flag. They think this because they were the leaders for the confederate states. They have already been represented by statues for years and people are bothered by them.

Either way, if the statues are removed and not replaced, we would still have a better place for more people to enjoy rather than people stuck in the past. We as a society, need to move forward.