• May 23Senior Portraits Due End of September

• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

Chess Club

Kate Hamric, Staff Reporter

They are reaching the unthinkable even before they make their first move. Palm Harbor University High Schools’ chess team is learning their way through the game of chess, and it may be helping them more than they think.

The members of chess club meet every Tuesday in room 4-207 with Ms. Susan Weaver to improve their skills of the game before their next competition.

“Chess is a club that allows students to come together, socialize, and play an intellectual game at the same time,” teacher sponsor Ms. Susan Weaver said.

The game builds self-confidence and problem solving skills for all the players. The kids that come to the club have fun, and enjoy playing and learning the game.

While practicing the game the players enjoy their time together. The game is something that creates a new level of thinking for the players. Practicing the game also gives the players the opportunity to travel to new places to verse other players from different places.

“Chess club is something that I decided to join because I have always thought the game of chess was super interesting” senior Matt Hansen said.

Nationally, chess club is played to help players open their minds to new ideas and thoughts. With the game helping players and students learn new ideas from other people, it helps the players also learn about the other places that their opponents are from.

During the meetings at Palm Harbor the players verse each other while learning new skills to win the game. The players know that if they lose it is just to help them get better for future games.

Chess club is just the beginning for the players that decide to challenge themselves through the game. The game is creating new opportunities all over the world and Palm Harbor’s chess club is just the start for bringing their students success.