• May 23Senior Portraits Due End of September

• April 19Yearbook distribution April 25; extra books on sale April 27, $80 CASH only, room 4-115

Best Buddies

Bella Yacoviello, Staff Reporter

Helping a child with disabilities is rewarding work, and creating friendships with them will leave memories to last a lifetime. Justina John gets to do both as a member of a unique and progressive club, Best Buddies.

Best Buddies is a club that meets the second Thursday of every month after school. The mission of best buddies is to create friendships by pairing a child that has emotional or physical disabilities with a member of the club.

“I wanted to join Best Buddies to help kids with disabilities because they deserve great friendships,” John said.

Justina John is a freshman IB student who is currently in her first year of Best Buddies. Her sister has been a member of Best Buddies for one year, and helped encourage her to join the club.

“My sister is a role model for me, she encouraged me to join Best Buddies and apply for IB,” John said.

Justina is an active member of many other clubs. She is the freshman representative of Key Club, and she is also a member of FBLA, Mu Alpha Theta, and Debate Club.

She is an excellent student with a 4.0 unweighted GPA, and is very focused on giving back and volunteering. Justina also volunteers at a hospital during her free time.

“I’m glad I joined Best Buddies, it helps me give back to the community that has given me so much,” John said, “I’m a believer in helping out others because it makes me feel like I’m making a difference.”

Justina plans to continue with these clubs in the following school year, and she wants to keep volunteering at the hospital.

“I recommend finding clubs and volunteering that you enjoy and that help others, I’m lucky PHU has a club as inspiring as Best Buddies and I think everyone should join,” John said.