• December 14 Senior Breakfast- May 3rd

Look out for Storm Watch

Storm Watch TV is broadcasted in third period on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Look out for Storm Watch

Two of Storm Watch’s Wednesday crew anchors, Saryn Taylor (‘19) and Collin Easley (‘20), do a cold read of the script in preparation for recording December 6th’s show.

Justine Nguyen

Justine Nguyen

Justine Nguyen

Justine Nguyen, Staff reporter

Not all students are aware that there is a broadcast club. However, there is one, and it is called Storm Watch TV. Storm Watch TV is a student-operated broadcast club with the purpose of providing information to students so they can stay informed on current events at school. Mrs. Amy Titus is the teacher who sponsors Storm Watch TV.

There are two crews in Storm Watch: the Monday crew and the Wednesday crew. The Monday crew’s show airs on Tuesdays, while the Wednesday crew’s show airs on Thursdays. Upon filling out the club application, students can select which crew they would prefer to be a part of based on availability and convenience. Meetings to record the show are once a week for each crew, lasting from after school to about 2:15-2:30 P.M., usually depending on the amount of takes to get the show right. The show airs the next day during third period. Some teachers may choose to play the show for their students.

The contents of the show are meant to help students remain updated on current happenings, as well as notify students of possible opportunities and dates. The members of the club can get the required extra points on top of attendance points by coming in during lunch or after school to help work on the script, forecast, or captions. There is also an elective option for students who choose to take it as a class (as Mrs. Titus’s TA).

Students applying can also choose whether they want to work in the front or the back room. The news anchors are in the front room, along with the teleprompter and floor director. The back room is where all the tech-related behind-the-scenes operations happen, such as tri-casting and sound.

Members rotate between duties within their room so that each student can learn how to run all the jobs in their room. The next year, they have the option to switch rooms or stay in their room again when they re-apply for the club.

In each crew, there is also a student producer. The student producer is a senior who is experienced in both the front room and back room and knows all the ins and outs of the show, and is also the one who calls the show by giving instructions to the floor director to relay to the news anchors.

Saryn Taylor (‘19), a news anchor on the Wednesday crew, knows Storm Watch will be beneficial to her future. “Being in Storm Watch is an amazing experience for my future because I plan to go into broadcast journalism,” Taylor said. “I haven’t yet decided what position I would like, but I know that whatever I pick, Storm Watch helped me get there.”

Storm Watch TV isn’t all business and no fun, either. A lot of shenanigans happen behind the scenes.

“Mrs. Titus recorded over the end of the script once and it was kind of funny,” Truman Davis (‘20) said.

New members of the club may feel a little overwhelmed on their first time running the show, but it’s always an experience to remember in the end.“The first time Saryn and Truman anchored together was pretty wild,” Chloe Berry (‘20) said. There was more than one take for the show that day, but Saryn and Truman made it work.

“The most memorable experience in Storm Watch was when I cracked up on camera. We were shooting the episode about selling homecoming tickets and announcing that the theme was Thriller. There were quite a few cheesy jokes in the script and I made it through the first one with just a smile,” Taylor said. “By the time I was reading the third joke, I couldn’t keep my laughter in and I cracked on camera. This led to the whole crew, even those in the back laughing their guts out over a cheesy pun.”

Storm Watch TV is a club full of experiences to remember, and there is never a dull moment. Students interested in joining can find applications in the media center, or ask Mrs. Amy Titus for one.

Justine Nguyen
Camilo Fonseca (‘19), the student producer of the Wednesday crew, edits the show after it is recorded for the next day’s release.